Thursday, May 17, 2012

Reflections (Spring, Lake Centennial)


That eerie spring green was reflected in the lake...so compelling.


The many times I've walked around Lake Centennial in Columbia, Maryland reflects my admiration for this public Park and Wildlife Preserve.  At all times of the year, it is engaging and I never tire of listening to the activities and sounds of "nature."  The Geese are particular favorites.




NOW, in Spring, 2012, the animated couplings, nestings, and joy of  "Green Time" (our winter was not very harsh at all, actually) are evident everywhere you look!  One can sit on a bench, walk, jog, or even ride a bike. Elsewhere in the Park, you can find cool playground equipment for kids.  Family picnics are popular. People just lying around on blankets until it gets really hot. Even then, it's a great place to be near water, take a boat out, just BE...



Here are a few photos from the last walk. Most interesting for me are those reflections on the lake. Green, green everywhere--blossoms gone--but the spring greens are totally captivating! Birds I recognize and others still a mystery. My plan is to buy binoculars and learn the names of Maryland birds since I seem to be drawn more and more to the trees and sky.


Of course, the joggers are out there and having a great time in this weather, training for races and events in the next month and into the summer. Here is one jogger who ran in front of the camera while I was trying to photograph still another reflection. I was glad she did!

 
Grasses...pollen time. Look, but breathe lightly!

For those of us who are allergic to spring, there is always Claritin and other OTC remedies. During my running years, the grass season bothered me much less...it simply was moved on through sweating and faster breathing. That's my theory anyway.


One couple, looking at the lake.
A Red-Winged Blackbird on the grass.
Row of trees, posterized.
Everywhere, the lake sparkled in an almost plaid design.
I didn't sit, but there are plenty of benches!




Kay Weeks, Content/Photos.

May 17, 2012

hocoblogs@@@







No comments: