Saturday, December 11, 2010

A few of your favorite things...


Sing:Ice on the windows
with old-looking granite
Ellicott City
is my favorite planet
Red decked-out windows
and steep sited streets

Come here and see
all the nice folks...you meet!




Refrain, minor key:
When the news bites!
When the words hurt!
When you’re feeling mad...

Upbeat again:
Remember a few of my favorite things,
And then you can sing
once more!


Narrative begins here: My second holiday feature, after the last overview, proceeded according to plan, mostly--to interview three women in three different shops on Main Street (owners and/or staff members, but a very short interview).




The question:



What is your favorite item in the store that reminds you of the holiday spirit...something you may have feelings about? That question works for me, but then I am a viewer, a passerby, and frequently a buyer.

For a change, I parked in Lot B, near the Patapsco River Bridge, put $.50 in a meter, then noticed it said DEAD, and wondered if this meant FREE? Deciding it did not, I moved my car and guess what? Someone had left over an hour on the meter...quid pro quo.


First stop: ZEBOP and Kate St. John: I asked Kate the "favorite thing" question as she came down from a display ladder and it became very quiet. I suggested it might include peace and love! "Of course! It's this jacket with the peace sign on it!" And beautiful it is...


But you have to visit Zebop to see it in reality!















Next, I walked up the hill to Still Life Gallery and posed the question to owner and artist, Rebecca Weber.
One of her holiday rituals is to pick bittersweet, and she offered me this photo (see below).




To my question, Rebecca answered without hesitation: "These T'boli Bells," pointing to them on display. I told her I had seen them online and was fascinated. This is what I read on the Still Life web site:

Originally placed in home entrances to ward off evil spirits, these bells are handmade by the T'boli people of the southern Philippines. Recycled brass is cast from beeswax, with inticate, traditional details decorating the outer shell. Purchase of these bells helps to preserve and protect the T'boli culture.
Finally, across the street and down the hill to Country Crafters, owned by Jane Phillips; I visit the shop at least once a season and have created a blog feature on it--and her. Jane was out, but Natalie, a fairly new staffer was in. I posed the question to her as I walked around looking at items. The store is packed with wonderful figurines, jewelry...always fun. She sighed and said "Oh, I can't possibly answer that, and continued unpacking boxes." So, I decided to choose with her and we started to have fun. I pointed to the hands!


So, now you know:
My favorite thing right now are these big sculptural hands that hold jewelry. And the ones you feature are very heavy, substantial so they won't tip over.
AND, I added, I want to buy one, the brown one (there were hands in black and one in white as well).

In order to experience the historic district, with its joyful holiday flavor, do take the walk soon. You will be glad you did!



Blog feature, content/photos, unless
otherwise noted: Kay Weeks
Tree with birds and ornaments
in Still Life Gallery.Thanks to Kate, Rebecca and Natalie for their time and enthusiasm!


12.11.10
Be sure to visit Jeremy Kipp Clarks




19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kay, I loved it. If I don't see you, have a happy holiday and thank you for featuring my store.

jane

country crafters

Anonymous said...

looks great!!

Rebecca
Still Life Gallery

Anonymous said...

love it Kay!

Kate
Zebop
Ellicott City

Anonymous said...

cheap generic xanax cheap xanax online no prescription - xanax green

Anonymous said...

buy zolpidem zolpidem 30 - ambien side effects night sweats

Anonymous said...

buy ativan online ativan and alcohol abuse - ativan 20mg

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online legally generic ambien cost at walmart - buy ambien no prescription

Anonymous said...

ativan online buy lorazepam drug - lorazepam 1mg mri

Anonymous said...

buy zolpidem ambien side effects nightmares - ambien zolpidem order

Anonymous said...

alprazolam 0.5mg generic xanax 11 - xanax xr half life

Anonymous said...

generic ativan online ativan like xanax - ativan uses hospice

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online no prescription diazepam erowid - diazepam drug interactions

Anonymous said...

ativan drug ativan gradual withdrawal - ativan getting high

Anonymous said...

lorazepam drug ativan liquid - brain damage ativan overdose

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan 2.5mg side effects - ativan while pregnant

Anonymous said...

order ambien without prescriptions ambien overdose how many milligrams - what does generic ambien cr look like

Anonymous said...

ambien on line what is ambien high like - ambien withdrawal medication

Anonymous said...

purchase ambien ambien no prescription overnight delivery - quitting ambien cr cold turkey

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam cheap valium online india - effects of valium overdose